Friday, February 24, 2012

The most expensive gift you could ask for...


What are we really here for? No matter what religion you are, the message in all is pretty clear...we are here for a purpose. If we are here for a purpose and know we are meant to do something, use our special talents and gifts, take care of our families and love one another, why would you keep doing something or NOT doing something to prevent you from being the best "you", you can be?

Most people know I am a Christian and my blog posts and overall opinions come from the aspect of that. This one will be no different. "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10


I view design as a form of art. God designed the skies and the oceans, the mountains and the streams. Nature is beautiful and is God’s work of art. Know what else God designed? YOU. The highest price paid for a painting just sold in 2011 for 250+ million dollars. God paid for you…the ultimate price by sending His one and only Son to die on a cross to save YOU! SO..what are you doing to take care of that life, body, soul that God designed? NOW, go eat your veggies…he designed those too!
I came up with this thought a few weeks ago. But it's true! What ARE YOU doing to take care of the wonderful body God gave you? You ARE here to do good works and you can NOT be the best "you" unless you are taking care of yourself and showing God some respect by taking care of the vessel he gave you to carry out these works.


Like I always say, I would not be on this journey of fitness if it wasn't for turning over my problems with weight and health to God. It is NOT my doing. God has brought me through this journey thus far and I know he will continue to be my side. I started a very strict diet plan again on Wednesday for lent. So far so good. It really does feel good to know that I'm honoring God by putting good things in my body and exercising to keep it in shape. This morning when I was reading my devotionals I needed a little extra "umph" and started quickly flipping through my book hoping that God would answer this need, and take me to a really good one..and He did! Here it is, this is why and what God feels about us taking care of ourselves.....

"Didn't you realize that your body is a sacred place, the place of the Holy Spirit? Don't you see that you can't live however you please, squandering what God paid such a high price for? The physical part of you is not some piece of property belonging to the spiritual part of you." 1 Corinthians 6:19 msg
Are you shaping up or spreading out? Do you eat sensibly and exercise regularly, or do you spend your time on the couch with a Twinkie in one hand and a remote in the other? Are you choosing to treat your body like a temple or a trash heap? How you answer these questions will help determine how long you live and how well you live.
Physical fitness is a choice, a choice that requires discipline--it's as simple as that. So, do yourself this favor: treat your body like a one-of-a-kind gift from God....because that's precisely what your body is.
"Maximum physical health happens when the body--with all it's chemicals,parts and systems--is functioning as closely to the way God designed it to function."--Dr. Walt Larimore

So you see, we are instructed specifically by the big guy upstairs to take care of ourselves! Like I said earlier, we ARE part of his grand artwork. Would you walk into a museum and deface a famous painting? It's the same thing we are doing to our bodies when we are constantly feeding it junk food and living a sedentary lifestyle. God paid the highest price for us. Treat your body as a gift...the most expensive gift you could ever ask for! 


No comments:

Post a Comment